Saturday, April 24, 2010

Night out with MoneyPenny!

Saturday, April 24, 2010
So, it all started when I went out with my “not” brother Uthman and his friends (yes, Uthman is his real name and No he’s not my brother). I didn’t know anyone but him, so in my quest not annoy him the whole night (just half), I spoke to some of his friend’s friends.

Okay- you still with me? So I was talking to a young woman named… Lisa. I hope that was her name. And we were talking about awesome women that love video games. She asked me “have you ever heard of DJ Mother Hubbard? She’s a huge gamer and a great DJ”. I hadn’t and thus began my quest to learn more about this DJ Mother Hubbard. I figured she must really love her some nursery rhymes.


(poor dog)


So fast forward some research and a few lucky email interview requests later and I got to meet Chess Hubbard (I don’t think she’s obsessed with nursery rhymes at all)! And I was surprised to find that she is even MORE awesome than I anticipated. Even though she only appears to be about 19 or 20, this woman has been spinning for over 5 years. She is part owner, publisher, and creative director for http://www.urchicago.com/. She is also part of several other music projects including being ½ of DJing duo MoneyPenny with Jessica Gonyea and Life During Wartime. PLUS- she's a gamer! Woot woot!



(Chess Hubbard aka DJ Mother Hubbard)

(Jessica Gonyea)
(These last two photos are the pictures I took while at Beauty Bar- I'll get to that experience in a moment. In the mean time- these chicks are HOT!!)




So, of course I’ve heard great music reviews about MoneyPenny. I finally got a chance to listen to them for myself and…. MoneyPenny is good. You know how you go out to the club and the DJ is playing your favorite new Lady Gaga song and then tries to unsuccessfully mix it with old school Jay Z? All of a sudden you don’t feel like dancing anymore and you wish you had more alcohol. You think to yourself “I was just having fun! This DJ blows! Well these ladies don't do that to you- even if they do decide to blend together two unlikely songs- they pull it off seamlessly without changing your mood or desire to dance. They spin all sorts of goodies in their sets (a little Prince, a dash Michael Jackson, a little of this- a little of that). Even if you don’t like all the genres of music they play- MoneyPenny still manages to create this really happy mood that gets the party moving. So- just listen for yourself-

you can download Moneypenny's "Spandexxx Mixtape.012" here http://www.urchicago.com/rocktamixtapes/Spandexxx.012.mp3


So, meeting Dj Mother Hubbard and listening to MoneyPenny brings me to my next adventure. I decided to check out Beauty Bar.

(This looked too good to pass up!)



(Those drinks sound so cute and delicious)


Now- I’m not an avid clubber, I wore myself out between working a short stint at IMAGE Chicago magazine and URSupermodels. The thing I hate most about clubs- the DJ usually sucks, drinks are costly, and people ARE NOT DANCING!! They're just crowded around the bars and the VIP section looking attractive. I’m pretty much over that. However, Beauty Bar is stimulating for multiple reasons! First- It’s got a beautiful fun interior design. MoneyPenny was spinning so I already knew the music was going to be on point. Ladies- you can get a manicure while you’re drinking a martini!! The whole lounge/club is 1960’s beauty shop themed. They have cute features- such as the chairs you sit in have hair dryers attached. So far- so good. And there’s a huge dance floor where people are actually sweating it out dancing, how refreshing. And it’s only 10:15 PM!! I came on a great night! Plus, cover was only $5 bucks. Drinks were moderately priced and had really cute names! And there was no particular style going on-everyone looked very geek chic though. Here are some of the partiers there-

(A hair dry chair never looked so cool)

(this is my blurry picture of the night! But I had to take a picture of the disco ball and the people dancing under it)


(They have fabulous outfits on! Very cute)


(Mr. DuFour)


(Biggest smirky smile ever and a super cute scarf)


(Look at the gloves of the girl on the right! I'm going to steal those!)


I didn't want to post too many of the interior shots- half the fun of going out to a new place is seeing what it looks like inside! Trust me- you'll love it.
I had a great time! I hope Beauty Bar stays fun! And I’m now a Huge fan Of MoneyPenny. So, I just wanted to share my experience with you ladies- who’s going with me to the next event?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
SUGAR GAMERS © 2008. Design by Pocket